SIMULTANEOUS MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM
PROGRAMS / OPTIONS
Officer Candidate School
Warrant Officer Candidate School
Split Training Option
Civilian Acquired Skills Program
Simultaneous Membership Program
Foreign Language Recruiting Initiative
High School To Flight School
College First Enlistment Option
A - Law Violations
B - Waivers / Suitability
C - Military Separations
D - RE Codes / DEP Discharges
E - Height / Weight Charts
F - ARNG Loss Reason Codes
G - Education Tiers / Codes
H - Live Scan
I - Forms / Pubs / Links
J - Terms / Definitions
K - SRIP
L - NJARNG
SIMULTANEOUS MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM (09R) Last Modified
SIMULTANEOUS MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM (09R)
a. Reserve Component Directorate SMP SOP
b. AR 145-1 ROTC Organization, Administration, and Training
c. USACC Reg 145-1 ROTC Incentives Policy
d. USACC Pam 145-1 ROTC Incentives Policy
e. AR 135-91 Service Obligations
f. SMOM 20-056 09R10 ROTC Enlistment Procedures
g. SMOM 21-017 Exception to US Citizenship Requirements for US Nationals
h. SMOM 21-030 Academic Year 21-22 ARNG Minuteman Campaign
9-14. Simultaneous Membership Program (IAW AOC)
The Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) is a voluntary officer-training program designed to increase the number of ROTC officers available for Reserve Forces Duty. Applicants will meet eligibility requirements listed in AR 601-210 Paragraph 9-14, the Reserve Component Directorate SMP SOP, and USACC Reg 145-1. All 09R applicants will be fully processed at the MEPS and have a validated checklist (HRR Form 200) and control number via RZ workflow before REQUEST reservation and enlistment. SMP applicants are divided into two categories - Potential SMP and Contracted Cadet/SMP.
a. Eligibility (NPS/PS). A Potential SMP (09R1) is an individual who is not contracted with ROTC or enrolled in the advanced course and have executed NGB Form 594-1. Advanced courses are Military Science (MS) III and IV. High School Seniors who do not meet the eligibility requirements will not be considered for this program. These applicants will:
(1) Be a citizen of the United States.
(2) Meet age requirements in AR 601-210 Para 9-14e(5) and (6).
(3) Have AFQT of 31 or higher and one of the following –
(a) 850 SAT
(b) 19 ACT
(c) 110 GT Score
(4) Applicants who require a suitability review, a civil conviction waiver, or administrative waiver for separations are not authorized to access until granted approval.
(5) Suitability review submissions will include:
(a) Hand-written applicant statement.
(b) Court documents/police checks for charges being reviewed.
(c) Complete discharge documents (if applicable).
(d) OSM/Professor Military Science (PMS) endorsement (telephonic or in-person) including the meritorious consideration.
(6) Meet medical fitness standards as outlined in AR 40-501, Chapter 2.
(7) Be enrolled in a full time regular course of instruction leading to a baccalaureate or advanced degree at an eligible institution hosting, or having a cross enrollment agreement or extension center agreement with another institution hosting an Army ROTC program.
(8) Be enrolled as MS I or II.
(9) Provide a PMS certification (in memorandum format) explaining when the applicant will be enrolled in the advanced course.
(10) Have a REQUEST reservation for BCT and ship within 270 days from enlistment, if applicable.
(11) Enlistment requires an approved JPAS ship workflow to clear the JPAS submission in “Manage Investigation” to allow the MEPS GC to ship confirm REQUEST.
(1) Be a citizen.
(2) Meet age requirements in AR 601-210 Para 9-14e(5) and (6).
(3) Have an AFQT of 31 or higher.
(4) Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for non-scholarship applicants and2.5 for scholarship applicants.
(5) Applicants who require a suitability review, a civil conviction waiver, or administrative waiver (RE code) are not authorized to access until approved.
(6) Suitability review will include:
(a) Hand-written applicant statement
(b) Court documents/police checks or ROTC waiver
(c) Complete discharge documents (if applicable)
(d) OSM/PMS endorsement (telephonic or in-person) including the meritorious consideration
(7) Obtain a Chapter 2 MEPS physical.
(8) Enlistment requires an approved JPAS ship workflow to clear the JPAS submission in “Manage Investigation” to allow the MEPS GC to ship confirm REQUEST.
c. Personnel management of 09R applicants.
(1) PS applicants will enlist for a minimum term of service of 4 years. NPS applicants will enlist for an 8-year term of service (minimum 4x4 option).
(2) Recruiters will complete the enlistment packet in RZ using the HRR Form 200. State Operations will QC the packet and submit a suitability workflow. Processing may continue once the control number has been issued.
(3) Reporting code 09R2O will be assigned when all provisions for acceptance into the SMP are fulfilled.
(4) SMP participants will be assigned as an officer trainee in a unit based on current or projected commissioned officer vacancies.
(5) Training requirement.
(a) Non-contracted SMP (09R1) require BCT.
(b) Contracted SMP (09R2) do not require BCT. Those who require BCT will be built in REQUEST as 09R1.
(6) Soldiers who voluntarily withdraw from or are involuntarily removed from SMP must enter IET within 180 days of the effective date of the ROTC disenrollment memo. These Soldiers are required to complete their remaining service obligation.
(a) The Soldier must be deployable within 24 months (time starts the effective date of the ROTC disenrollment) or be discharged.
(b) Soldiers who refuse to attend IET will be immediately discharged.
(7) Advance contracted SMPs to the pay grade of E-5 with title of Cadet.
(8) SMP applicants must follow operational guidance to obtain a control number from ARNG-HRR-ASO prior to enlistment.
d. Waivers and Exceptions to Policy.
(1) Applicants who contract under an Enlisted MOS enlistment option are not authorized to Renegotiate (RENO) into Officer producing enlistment options (09R). Exceptions to Policy (ETP) for GRFD Scholarship nominees may be granted on a case-by-case basis, and are not guaranteed.
(2) Applicants who do not qualify for the Scholastic Aptitude Test or American college Test may request a waiver when the applicant has achieved a general technical score of 110 or higher. All applicants must have an AFQT of 31 or higher.
(3) Waivers for using GT score for 09R applicants will be granted as part of the RZ workflow when issuing a control number.
e. Service obligation. All Soldiers appointed as Officers from ROTC will incur an eight-year statutory obligation and a mandatory Ready Reserve participation obligation as identified in AR 135-91 Table 2-1.